Sunday, June 1, 2008

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and there’s no one near by : does it make any sound?

Today I found a question in Paulo's website. It was questioned too at Yahoo! Answers by him.

The question is as the title:

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and there’s no one near by : does it make any sound?


I read most of the answer from other people in yahoo and his site. I can say most of them agree the answer is yes, it make sound.

Since it was placed on philosophy category, I think this question is not as simple as it's looked. I wanted to answer at yahoo, but it had been closed. So I decided to write my answer at his site.

My answer is:

It depends on your mind.


What about you?

10 comments:

  1. 'sound' exists because a recipient hears it. if there is none, who call it 'sound'? who call it 'tree'? who call it 'falling'? so do they exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "depends on your mind"? means no answer of this question.
    My opinion is, sound exists when some one hear it.
    New Question : How come you know if tree falls in the middle of a forest make any sound while no one near by?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it doesn't make any sound cause no one hear it falls...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You cant possibly claim that theres no sound unless you hear it. Irwan, think about it. When you shower in the morning, and youre all alone in your flat, - and no one hears you - do you exist? :-)

    More importantly, how can you believe theres 6 something billion people on earth, if you barely see hundred of them, and not even at the same time?

    -Alina

    ReplyDelete
  6. in my mind, I'm exist. But never in your mind. Unless... you shower with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ic.. gua ga peduli ama suaranya, cuma gua pikir.. siapa sih yg lg nebang tuh pohon?? merusak hutan tau???

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think it's depend on how big the tree is
    it means:
    if u're a great person or an important person, your action, attitude etc will be heared by millions people, even when you r alone. but if u're just an ordinary people,i guess no one care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would the sun, moon and stars still shining even we weren't here anymore ?

    ReplyDelete