Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Great Motivator

I just watched a very interesting television show. It was broadcasted on one of my local tv station. The speaker was, lets say Mr. X. According to the show's name, it should be "Great way for solving life problems". I won't mention the show's name, simply because of ethical reason.

I rarely watch television. Well, my tv is on almost all the time. It is just on, there at the corner of the room, while I'm sitting here, being busy with my laptop, being in another different world.

But that time, it was different. I felt the need to relax for awhile. The television quickly gained my attention. I increased the volume. The speaker, Mr. X had a funny face, not cute nor handsome, and for sure, was mature enough age-wise that he might say all those he said at the show.

In my mind, I categorized him as "a positive thinker", or "a motivator", or whatever it is you want to call this kind of person. I'm not a hater, but I don't really like books from these categories.

I don't like doesn't mean I don't read or listen. I'm very open-minded. I get myself very informed, I try to get informations from as many sources as I can. I select which ones I want to swallow.

Typical for people like Mr. X, they have high self confidence (even though all that they say are crap, they say it confidently). Because with their confidence, all things they say become "TRUE". Moreover, with most of the "lack of  ..." audiences, they often throw questions, and whether or not the answer is satisfying, they will nod instantly, as if they are the fast learner and can absorb whatever the speaker means, "I'm not stupid", or "Go ahead, I can catch up," or maybe, "Yes of course I understand what you mean Mr X 'The GREAT'," and that will make me look not so stupid, or at least the same level with you (The GREAT SPEAKER / THINKER). When Mr. X stumbles upon problems, he will provide a little joke, and with his supportive face, all the audiences will laugh and all of a sudden, no one remembers the unanswered question, the topic is changed.

It is not the way they pass their idea that I oppose, but the idea itself. Most of the ideas, may I say, are "wrong", or lead to the wrong direction. It solves the problem right at the moment, but not when the person goes back home and faces the same problem again. It can be acceptable as a theory, without detail implementation. Speak is too easy. Most of the way even without considering long term impact. It is like escaping from one problem for now to face another problem in the future. Even worse, it's not solved to the root of the problem.

Then again, a great MC stands beside him, always ready to change the topic when necessary. At the end, big applause from trying-hard-to-look-smart audiences, great MC, great speaker. Good Job Mr. X. You are indeed really something.

P.S:
The show that I watched brought this topic, something like, "women's roles in the family." Most of the audiences were women, mothers, or even grandmothers.

How can we expect questions about the real problems of their family lives from the audiences? It will be just like telling your (pathetic family) problems to all the other people in the show and the whole world. What will they think about you after that?

Listening to the discussion and all the solutions Mr.X suggested, I was like, "Huh? Do you think every marriage is a result of romantic relationship? What about marriage done by matchmaker? What about  a girl made by her parents to marry a rich-old guy to save their business..., or marriage for the social status sake, that happens..." If you realize, then do not generalize, you just simplify all the things. You just want to make it an easy case.

I remember his very sentence that made my head spinning, my stomach churning, that was "Serve him as a King". Mr. X told a woman to serve her husband as a King. I'm sure Mr. X has such a high self pride, and ego. That's the wrong thing I mentioned before. He just gave a short cut solution to the question. Do you think a housewife can manage, the whole time, to smile and appear pretty, smells good with your "parfume suggestion" all over her body, after all the house work? Do you think she can manage to be better then all the other women outside? You are so much bullshiting Mr. X! Ah, I know, with all your bullshit sold, you have so much income that you can provide maids in the house; no work for your wife to do so that she has all the time to enhance her appearance, practice a new way of talking (like you said, that melodious one) to you. Oh yeah, you like your wife parfume right? Ahh, I remember, you are the King anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this... that Mr.X is such a chauvinist... boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you too, for spelling and grammar corrections.

    chauvinist hahaha... and being adored. uh uh!

    ReplyDelete