Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum

What's the meaning of Cogito, ergo sum or Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum?

"Cogito, ergo sum" (Latin: "I think, therefore I am") or Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum (Latin: "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am") is a philosophical statement used by René Descartes, which became a foundational element of Western philosophy. The simple meaning of the phrase is that if someone is wondering whether or not he exists, that is in and of itself proof that he does exist. (wikipedia)

Why do I bring this topic on? Is it because it is cool with all these Latin terms? Of course not!

I never doubt without no reason. Do you know why I can doubt about something? It's because I think about it first (or: It's because I give every statement a deep thought before I can say that that statement is acceptable). So, in this case, I feel the need to correct our ancestor's words. I prefer: I think, therefore I doubt, therefore I am!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! Tahun 1952, Polemik dua raksasa Sartre-Camus
    Sartre : Aku berpikir, jadi aku ada
    Camus : Aku berontak, jadi aku ada
    Aliran Eksistensialis vs Absurdis

    Kali ini kita sebut apa ya ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. long time before the western try to think..
    and therefore they starting to exist..

    Siddharta create a statement that weird to the western ear...

    :don't think
    therefore you exist...
    be empty


    Postmodern affirm this statement with below:
    :I think therefore I am not exist..

    For the Postmodernist, the modern mindset is heavily appreciate on thinking and ignore emotion...

    In Language:
    Jaques Derrida come to the statement that signified is as important as signifier..
    (from his Magnum Opus: Grammatology)

    ReplyDelete